Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Water Fountain

One of our seventh grade modules is the copper pipe station. Here the students are given a piece of copper pipe, a copper elbow and a copper "T". They are then to sweat the pipe by attaching the pieces with a torch and solder. It is a fun module. Most kids like it. They get to light a torch and use a flame which results in melting the solder. In this way the students are introduced to one of the areas of plumbing.

For the last two days Anna and Ashley have been at this station. They always get very involved in their modules. They soldered their fittings quickly during the first day and came back and asked if they could have a couple more. I had been watching them work while they diligently fit their pipes and pieces together, so I gave them a couple more pieces. Soon they emerged from their module shouting, "We made a fountain!" They wanted to hook it up to real water. I explained it was just a module and we don't really use water. They did not like my answer and told me again it was a fountain and it needed water. So, I thought for a brief moment, wondering if I dare give them my next best option: a bucket of water and an air hose. Watch the video and see the results.

Give a kid air and they will breathe in and out without thinking. But, give a kid compressed air in an air hose and they will not stop thinking of things to do with it.

Mr. Wiemers
http://www.generationword.com/

No comments: